After a year of chopped up progress working on this map pack and a recent 4 month break, I have managed to finish The Warehouse. Version 2.0 includes 7 netmaps. Older ones include Punk Plaza, Spaceport Alpha, Docking Bay 4, and Deserted Lobby, while the newer ones include Avoiding the Light, Imperial Uranus, and Waterloo Carnage which was completely redone!
Thanks to Sharkie Lino for helping on enhancing the sounds!
Comments and suggest are always welcome. Enjoy!
RyokoTK on Aug 1st 2008, Version 2.0
This is a pack that shows promise, but needs a lot of work and refinement. There are a couple maps that are almost there, and are certainly playable, but overall a lot of work needs to be done.
Common problems include:
- Too much diversity in weapon choices, which leads to not enough ammo or guns for any of them and too many useless ones.
- Lighting is generally flat (except for Imperial Uranus); more contrast is needed overall.
- Texturing needs work but is decent.
- A noticeable penchant for big, empty rooms -- which is ok, but boring. These need to be spiced up.
- Deceptive level size markers (Imperial Uranus is much smaller than Docking Bay 4).
Some specific level notes:
- The 1x recharger on Avoiding the Light is unnecessary.
- Waterloo Carnage is probably my favorite, but it needs at least 3x as much ammo.
- Imperial Uranus is also good, it just needs more gun spawns. The extra textures are unnecessary and don't mesh well.
Waterloo Carnage and Imperial Uranus especially show growth, and they could form the beginnings of a solid, high-quality pack.
A Good Pack
$lave on Jul 8th 2008, Version 2.0
This is definitely a good pack, but it isn't consistent throughout. All the maps, in my experience, have enough ammo, and all the ones I've played are quite fun, but there are some.. issues that keep me from giving this 5 stars. Waterloo Carnage is a great map, it looks nice, has enough weapons and ammo and flows well. Punk Plaza still looks fairly nice, not as nice as waterloo, but it still flows well, has enough ammo, is balanced etc. Space Port Alpha can also be great fun, and Avoiding the Light is a nice map, despite feeling slightly cramped. Imperial Uranus is another good map, although it isn't completely solid throughout, some of the texturing and lighting could be touched up a bit, in my opinion. All the maps I've listed, however, are very original and fun maps. The last two maps, however, I can't say are at the same level. The use of the Jjaro set can be quite spotty, and doesn't always look terribly nice. These two maps maps still flow well enough and have enough ammo, but they are lacking visually.
That said, good job, and I hope to see you making more maps at some point!
Write a review