NOTE: Many changes have gone into this game to address the two reviews. With over 900 downloads, I'd appreciate a review from someone else. Please? Many many updates to add pillars, stairs, transparency, different goals, etc. When this was originally reviewed, there were only 4 levels! Please review if you downloaded it.
Fart or Die! is a 9-level game that uses hidden areas, terminals, switches, teleports, and more!
As a beginner, I struggled to figure out how to create switches, terminals, platforms, stairs, circles (use circle plugin around a line), uplink chips, exits and terminal variants with multiple actions. I also could not figure out how to add motion or depth to water, lava, or sewage. All that works now and is included in this game.
I am not an expert map maker by any means (more a newb) but this map contains a lot of commonly used elements for map makers and may help some newbs.
NOTE: I am not a super mapping pro and my levels are much less complex than others on here…but it is that complexity that made it hard for me to learn by studying other maps. I hope this set of maps helps someone new on here. This is NOT an advanced mapping tutorial. It is meant to help you get over the hump.
Having said all that, it is also fun to play and I enjoyed making it. While the levels are not too complex, they are challenging and require you to follow game strategy to move from one level to another. :) If you play the game at the hardest level, you will find it difficult to complete. :)
Let me know if you like it. I'm in the pfhorums as dustu and on live games as dustu.
NOTE: I have addressed most, if not all, of the comments by reviewers on here and in the forums.
If you download this, please review it.
Minor bug fixes.
RyokoTK on Jan 8th 2015, Version 1.2
I like that the very first screenshot has misaligned textures. That should really tell you everything.
Everything that Crater Creator posted previously sums this up perfectly. One thing I need to add is that textures that have solid black backgrounds are meant for transparent sides, not walls.
Room for improvement
Crater Creator on Dec 28th 2014, Version 1.0
I played this the whole way through, and I would have to say beginning mapmakers should not study this as a good example.
- -- You get stuck behind BoBs in narrow hallways all the time.
- -- Monsters spawn on random polygons, including ones where they don't fit, instead of in thoughtfully crafted encounters.
- -- Monster types are selected carelessly. Don't just throw in tiny BoBs because you think they're cool.
- -- Height plays no role in gameplay.
- -- Platform parameters are set poorly such that you have to wait for them.
- ++ Mission parameters are functionally working, and are made clear in terminals.
- ++ All green BoBs are assimilated, so at least I didn't have to get the BoBs mad at me.
- -- Item placement is hit or miss. I get 2 shotguns but no shotgun ammo in the whole map. 4 invincibility powerups in a room is unnecessary.
- -- Overuse of mission parameters. Not every level should require exploration.
- -- Textures are misaligned, mismatched, or even missing.
- -- The overall simplicity makes every level feel the same. How about a staircase? How about a high ceiling? How about a pillar to duck behind? How about a ledge? How about a window?
- ++ Each level does have a story. There's a reason for your missions, and it's enough that I wanted to read what happened next.
- -- Winning the game is impossible since the levels loop back on themselves. The player expects and deserves a resolution.
Write a review